My childhood was full of Jalebi vali memory, as it was the sweet that every member of our family can agree on. Actually I was the only one who was a picky eater 😛
Seeing a Halwai (sweets maker) creating those round and overlapping circles in hot oil and then rushing to eat that hot juicy Jalebi, that was my favorite part.
So, this Diwali I thought of making Jalebi. It was my first time. So after much practice finally I got a batch that looked like this. 😎 Turned out pretty good, right?
Ingredients for Jalebi –
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour
- 2 tbsp Corn Flour
- ¾ Cup Yogurt
- 1 tbsp Baking Powder
- pinch of turmeric powder for color
Ingredients for Jalebi Syrup –
- 1 Cup Sugar
- 1.5 Cup Water
Method for Syrup –
- Boil sugar with water on medium heat for 15-17 minutes.
- Check for one thread consistency.
- Remove from heat and cool for a bit.
Method for Jalebi –
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
- Add yogurt and mix well.
- Use water to achieve desired consistency.
- Let it sit overnight, if possible. Otherwise you can use this recipe to make instant Jalebi too.
- Pour batter into a ketchup bottle or some squeezable bottle with a nozzle.
- Heat oil in a deep fry pan and start piping the batter in concentric but connected circle.
- Turn and fry well Jalebi till they are crispy.
- Put them in Sugar syrup for 1-2 minutes and then Serve.
Jalebi is served hot. But cold ones are delicious too. I love the combination of hot Jalebi with cool vanilla Ice cream. Weird, right? :O
P.S. My cooking is experimental. You will find many similar and different recipes, but the idea is to explore your food and do experiments with it. Enjoy Cooking Experiments and Experiences 🙂