For us vegetarians, Paneer can be termed as delicious and mouthwatering as Chicken is for the Non Vegetarians. We relish Paneer dishes. Karahi Paneer is one of my favorite dishes, along with Paneer Tikka, which I have tried my hands on this weekend.
Paneer Tikka is marinated Cheese/Paneer, with spices and curd, which is grilled or baked, preferably in a tandoor, but an oven will do too.
Below is the recipe for it. I have done this with some variations so, posting my variations too, along with the original recipe.
- 1½ cup Paneer (Tofu also worked for me 🙂 )
- 2 Capsicums (Red Yellow or Green) – I have not used Capsicum coz hubby doesn’t like them 😛
- 1 Onion
- 1 Tomato
- 1 cup Hung Curd
- 1½ tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste
- 1/2 tbsp Red Chilli Powder (use Kashmiri Red Chilli if you want more Red Color)
- 1 tbsp Turmeric Powder (Optional as per your taste/color choice)
- 1/4 tbsp Garam Masala
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- 1 tbsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tbsp Chaat Masa
- Oil to spray for baking/griling
- Salt as per taste (You may also like to use black salt in small quantity)
Method (fairly simple):
- Mix curd with all the spices. Add lemon juice to it. Mix well.
- Dice vegetables and Paneer into square shapes or any shape you prefer, just small pieces 🙂
- Marinate Paneer and vegetables in the Curd mix prepared above. Put them aside for 2 hours, in fridge.
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Place your onion, tomato, capsicum(I didn’t used them 😦 ) and Paneer onto Skewers (You can use toothpicks too).
- Spray with some olive oil.
- Put them in oven for 10 minutes.
- Rotate your skewers. 10 minutes more in oven and done.
- Serve hot with chutney of your choice (preferably Mint chutney). Sprinkle some lemon juice to add that tangy taste to it.
You can garnish them with lemon wedges and onion slices.
Preparation won’t take much, except for the 2 hours of marinated time. Tasty and healthy recipe which my kids enjoyed eating too.
One more variation– I used extra gravy left after marination as separate dish or as Masala for my Paneer Tikka 🙂
P.S. My cooking is experimental. You will find many similar and different recipes, but the idea is to explore your food and do experiments with it. Enjoy Cooking Experiments and Experiences 🙂