So far I have shown you recipes which my kids prefer to eat. Now, just for a change, and for a very special request, my husband’s favorite Raita Recipe – The Boondi Raita.
Boondi Raita is a side dish served with Indian Meal. It can also be used as a dip or salad, or as salad dressing too. Raita can be prepared with different ingredients like, cucumber (my favorite), tomato, onion, pumpkin, mint, pineapple etc… here, I have made one from Boondi, which is a Rajasthani food item, prepared from chickpea flour, with spices added to it before frying.
Let’s go and make ourselves a bowl of Boondi Raita, now.
- 1 cup Curd
- ½ cup Boondi (Khara/Tikha)
- ½ tbsp Jeera/Cumin Powder
- ½ tbsp fried Cumin.
- ¼ tbsp Red Chilli Powder
- ¼ tbsp Black Pepper Powder
- ½ tbsp Chaat Masala
- 1 tbsp chopped Mint Leaves
- Salt as per your taste.
- Soak Boondi in warm water for 15 -20 Minutes.
- Drain the Boondi gently, without mashing them. Keep aside.
- Whisk curd in a bowl. Add water if desired for the desired consistency.
- Add all the spices along with chopped Mint leaves.
- Mix well.
- Add Boondi to curd mixture. Mix it gently.
- Sprinkle with fried Cumin.
- Garnish with Mint Leaves, and serve cold.
Best thing about Boondi Raita, or for the matter any other kind of Raita is that, it’s ingredients can be replaced with so many available variations.
Like, you can use Coriander leaves instead of Mint, or you can use green chilli instead of red chilli powder, black salt instead of normal sea salt. You can totally ditch Cumin if you are not a fan. Even chaat masala is upto your taste buds. So, even if you will just have curd and Boondi mixed together, with some salt, you will have a Boondi Raita. 😀
That’s easy, right???
P.S. My cooking is experimental. You will find many similar and different recipes, but the idea is to explore your food and do experiments with it. Enjoy Cooking Experiments and Experiences 🙂